Parent Residency Grant
The Parent Grant—made possible by new support from the Sustainable Arts Foundation—is a four-week residency for an artist with dependent child(ren) under the age of 15. Artists may choose to work in any of our studio disciplines: intaglio, letterpress, papermaking, screenprinting, photography, or ceramics.
This grant includes a $1000 childcare stipend, up to $250 for travel costs, free onsite housing, and 24/7 studio access. WSW can also provide technical advice and production assistance.
The $1000 childcare stipend can be used at the artist’s discretion, though a childcare plan must be submitted with the application. Possible childcare scenarios include:
- Bringing a caregiver or partner to stay for the residency period
- Finding a childcare facility near WSW
- Locating individuals near WSW who can provide childcare
- Paying for childcare at your family’s home base
If you plan to bring your child(ren) and are in need of childcare, WSW recommends using Care.com to locate area providers. WSW cannot assist applicants in finding childcare options.
If your child/children are coming with you, WSW can provide a two-bedroom apartment (with a single bed in each room) that has a bathroom and an open kitchen/living area where another bed can be placed. The maximum occupancy is three. Please note that, for safety reasons and to maintain a focused working environment, children cannot be in the studios where artists are working.
The residency in a nutshell:
Application due: October 15, midnight EST
Notification date: via email by December 15
Residency length: 4 weeks
Residency occurs: the year following application, September – June
-Application must include:
- A current resume
- A childcare plan, detailing your use of the $1000 stipend
- A description of the project, including the studio you’d like to work in (no more than 200 words)
- Up to ten images of recent work (digital specifications here)
- An image script, which should include the title, medium, dimension, and date of each image